Saturday, May 11, 2013

My Favorite Foundation: NARS Sheer Glow in Stromboli (NC30/NC35 Match)








NARS SHEER GLOW FOUNDATION in STROMBOLI.

This foundation is my all time favorite foundation. My mom and my sister got this for me for my 23rd birthday (ALMOST THREE YEARS AGO). This is my third bottle of this foundation and I really can't be without it. I can rely on this foundation for special occasions or for whenever I want a flawless face. This foundation has everything I need in a foundation. I have worn this foundation on anniversaries, nights out in Vegas, weddings, and other various special occasions. This is perfect for flash photography. There is no embarrassing white cast to worry about. This foundation is also perfect to wear in the summer. I can sweat in the summer heat here in Washington D.C. but it stays on my face! It also lasted an entire day at Disneyland in the summer. I can't complain. The staying power is amazing.

My skin type is dry to combination. I recently found this out. I know that my face is usually dry but throughout the day it tends it get oily around my forehead and my nose. I tend to gravitate towards foundations that claim to be long-wearing. This was a huge mistake. Foundations that claim to be "24 hours" or "longwearing" don't work for me. Any foundation that claims to be long wearing usually dries out the skin to absorb oils. This is probably why I don't like the Tarte Amazonian Clay Foundation or the Revlon Colorwhipped foundation too much. These foundations are better suited for oily skin. My skin absorbs the makeup and my skin looks extremely patchy. I need foundations that are meant for normal to dry skin. NARS Sheer Glow Foundation in meant for people with normal to dry skin or very dry skin types.

I wear the color Stromboli. This shade is described as medium with olive undertones. It has strong yellow undertones. If you were to compare this shade to a MAC shade it would have to be NC30 in the Studio Fix Fluid Foundation. This blends into my skin perfectly. It doesn't look like I'm wearing a mask or makeup.

NARS Claims that this foundation enhances your complexion without creating a mask on your face. Very very true. Though this foundation does not claim that it is long-wearing, it  really is! It's long-wearing without drying out my face. Very rare for a foundation that does last hours. Okay, this is gross but I did fall asleep in this foundation the other day. I was too lazy to take off my makeup and I knew I had work the next morning. When I woke up, I just decided to work through the day with my makeup on. I know this is sooooo gross but I honestly woke up and saw that my foundation stayed on. I stayed up pretty late the night before. Of course I washed my face and showered after work BUT this just goes to show how awesome the staying power is. Okay moving on....

I apply this foundation with an Elf Flat Top Powder brush OR MAC's 187 brush. Recently, I've been loving the Elf brush to apply it because it makes the application a lot easier. The foundation blends so easily. It feels so soft on the skin and it gives me a slight "natural" looking glow. I feel like I don't have to apply concealer. It truly evens out my complexion and it makes my face look flawless. I still choose to wear concealer even though it isn't really necessary. I still add a little bit of MAC's Studio Finish Concealer in NW25 under the eyes. I set this foundation with MAC's MSF Natural in Medium plus on my forehead and my nose.

I recently purchased my third bottle December 2012. It WAS $42 at the time but I just checked Sephora and now it's $44. Disappointed that the price went up but I know I will still continue to purchase it because it has been my perfect foundation.

I highly highly highly recommend this foundation! It is the best foundation I have ever tried and I have not tried another foundation that comes close. I really need to stop foundation shopping when I know I have found my perfect match.

See shade comparison pictures of MAC NC30 and NARS STROMBOLI [here]

<3lenein

3 comments:

  1. That white cast thing is wrong! people who are pale appear that way on cam regardless. The gray and ashy cast you speak of is caused by both spf/titanium ioxide.
    Plus, this shade can suit many complexions..not just nc30-35

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your insight. This foundation works well for me. I personally have never had an issue with a white cast with this particular foundation. Great to know if works for other complexions. I can only speak from my own personal experience.

      Delete
  2. I use Stromboli and it fits me perfectly. my mac shade is NC40. I actually like stromboli better that mac studio fix. i did a comparison on my sister( same shade as me) using nars glow on one side of her face and mac studio fix on the other and on the side of nars her face looked absolutely smooth, all bumps and marks were hidden, it looked flawless but the mac side, all bumps and marks were still visible. you could tell you had put on foundation but it was not that perfect smooth finish as though you have perfect skin.

    ReplyDelete