Tuesday, October 15, 2013

MARC JACOBS Genius Gel Foundation in Beige Medium (MAC NC30 Foundation Match) - Not for dry skin

Marc Jacobs Genius Gel Foundation $48

Chic glass bottle with a plastic lid. Contains 1 fl. oz.

34 Beige Medium (Matches MAC NC30 foundation)

It has a pump. This is love.

Okay, if you've read my previous post about me attempting to finish my Tarte foundation then you've probably seen that this foundation was next on my list. So, I didn't finish my Tarte foundation but I used quite a bit of it. I obviously don't have self control when it comes to beauty products so I got the Marc Jacobs Foundation. :X

I finally got my hands on this foundation. As of now, this foundation is only available at Sephora stores. I had THE hardest time trying to get this foundation. Not because it was unavailable but rather it was impossible to get to! The product was behind the display but it soooo hard to get it out. I don't know if you all had this issue at Sephora, but yeah... that was annoying.

I had to try this foundation as soon as I got home. I was matched to Beige Medium. It has great yellow tones that correlate well with my MAC NC30 skin tone. If you're an NC30, then this may be a good shade for you.

FIRST IMPRESSION:
The consistency of this foundation is very similar to the Urban Decay Naked Skin. It's very liquidy and runny. Unlike the Urban Decay Naked Skin, this foundation is very light coverage. What I liked about the UD Naked Skin foundation is that it was light but still gave FULL coverage. This foundation however, is clearly light to medium. It claims to be buildable to a full coverage but I don't agree. I used three pumps of the foundation just to achieve a medium coverage. No big deal. I still like it. I personally am not used to the light coverage.

I noticed that this foundation has a slight fragrance, which I tend not to like. The smell isn't overbearing personally. It smells kind of "fresh"...sorry i can't describe scents well....

I am one to stay away from perfumes because I am prone to headaches but this foundation's scent wasn't too bad at all. The scent also fades away once applied so no big deal.

I apply this foundation with my Elf Flat Top brush but I feel like the brush is absorbing the foundation like crazy because I keep having to add more foundation. Soooo.... I just ordered the Original Beauty Blender at Sephora and I'm HOPING that it'll work better. The brush worked but it wasn't my favorite... *please work $20 make up sponge*

UPDATE:
This foundation looks great in photos and applies well with the beauty blender. I actually fell so in love with my beauty blender and it has totally made me switch up the tools I use for my foundation routine. I have used it on other foundations lately and I love it!

Unfortunately, this foundation did cause my chin to start forming acne like bumps and I NEVER get pimples or blemishes like this. I was hoping it wasn't the Marc Jacobs foundation. I initially thought it was the beauty blender causing my bumps. After discontinuing using the MJ Genius Gel Foundation, I noticed my skin starting to get better. I continued to use the beauty blender on my other foundations and no new bumps. Also, I noticed that my skin started to look very dry when I used the foundation. I especially noticed it around my eyes.  I had to return the Marc Jacobs foundation. If you have dry skin, I do not recommend this foundation. This may be better for those with oily skin. I'm so sad it didn't work out for me.

<3lenein

2 comments:

  1. Hi Lenein..
    I'm glad that I found your blog, as I share the same nc30 skin as yours. Appreciate all your reviews, specifically the foundations. Currently Im using MAC studio fix liquid nc30, I want to try some other brand, which one do you recommend, thinking of NARS, but let me know your recommendation. Thanks
    ---Aditi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely try NARS Sheer Glow in Stromboli! It's my all time favorite foundation. I actually have a post on it on my blog. Check it out.

      Delete